CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Book Review: Skinny Chicks Eat Real Food

Skinny Chicks Eat Real Food: Kick Your Fake Food Habit, Kickstart Your Weight Loss
by Christine Avanti, CN

Photo from Goodreads.com

I came across an ad for this book in a magazine and the words "real food" caught my eye. I've been on the lookout for more books about eating real food so I wrote down the title and requested it at the library. This book, as it states in the subtitle, is about weight loss, but there is so much good information for anyone interested in eating real food whether they are doing it to lose weight or not.


The book is 289 pages including recipes and appendices at the end. I found the reading quick and enjoyable (Christine Avanti's personality definitely comes through) all while being very informative. I'd say this would be a good book for people that are new to the real food idea and people like me, who have read and learned a good deal about eating real food already. I still learned some new information and partway through reading decided it was a good enough resource to actually shell out the money to buy it.


The book is divided into 3 sections:
Part I: Addicted to Factory Food explains what type of food most Americans are buying and the processes they go through in the factory. It also touches on why people have certain cravings and are addicted to food. There is also a chapter dedicated to sugar and another to fats. Very informative section, especially for people new to the real food idea.

Part II: Real-Food Recovery talks about making the switch from factory food to real food. There are also some tips on how to fend off the cravings and people that offer you factory foods that you are trying to avoid.

Part III: Real Food in the Real World gives some great tips about shopping for real food in the grocery store and at farmer's markets. It also talks more about the weight loss plan and gives some sample menus. There are also enough recipes for every meal of the day for several days.


One part of the book that I really liked were the profiles on several different real foodies that have blogs and other resources to check out. Being a blogger myself I was excited to see Lisa Leake from 100 Days of Real Food in there as well as several other people that I want to go check out. I think reading blogs from regular people that are trying to do the same thing you are trying to do is so helpful and inspiring. It makes it all seem doable.


I will be passing this book on to someone else (and then asking for it back so I can use it as a reference). I hope you find this book helpful too. 



0 comments:

Post a Comment