CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, May 11, 2012

My Love Affair with Fresh & Easy



It wasn’t love at first sight with Fresh & Easy: Neighborhood Market. We flirted for a bit several years ago, but there was no chemistry and the relationship didn’t go anywhere. Over the past year we reconnected, I discovered some very attractive qualities and fell in love. I’ve found that Fresh & Easy has a wide variety of healthy choices, several ways to save money, and it is convenient. Since my family began eating more real food, Fresh & Easy is where I spend the most of my grocery budget.

Note: Fresh & Easy is currently only in California, Nevada and Arizona. If you live elsewhere and know of a similar type of store let me know. I think Trader Joe's is similar. We have them in Las Vegas, but it's not close enough to where I live to shop there.
Here is my rundown of why I love Fresh & Easy:

The Fresh & Easy brand – Fresh & Easy brand products do not include high fructose corn syrup, added trans-fats, or artificial coloring or flavors. This really attracted me to the store once I knew about it. Their products are clearly labeled so you don’t forget. Of course these items are all processed, packaged items, but they are a better choice than much of what is out there from other companies. Still read their labels because there may be other ingredients you are trying to avoid that are included. I really like that they are listening to what consumers want or don’t want and make better choices available at their store.

Meat – Fresh & Easy has a wide variety of meat, which I just recently discovered. I used to buy regular ground beef (no pink slime!!) and chicken because the prices were reasonable. When we decided that we wanted to go to organic chicken and grass-fed beef we found that they carried those as well. They have a few different types of seafood, pork and turkey too.  So no matter what my meat choices have been, I have found they have what I need. I have also recently discovered they have some nitrate free options for bacon, lunch meats, salami, and pepperoni. That makes me J.

Produce – They don’t have a huge selection and I don’t buy the bulk of my produce here, but when I do need something to supplement what I get from Bountiful Baskets this is a good option. They have some organic items and many conventional choices. It’s reasonably priced too. If you are looking for something unusual you might have to look elsewhere, but if you just want your usual produce choices you’ll have no problem getting what you need.

Saving Money
The Clearance Section – I found this section early on and check it every time I go. There is a refrigerated section and a non-refrigerated section.  Check here for some great deals. Just keep in mind that the items need to be used quickly. Sometimes we find our favorite pizza dough super cheap and just freeze it until we need it.
Coupons – Fresh & Easy does not accept manufacturer coupons, but who care when you can save a lot more money with their store coupons. This is my most recent discovery. I always used one of their coupons and got $3 or $5 off. However, you can use more than one of their store coupons in one transaction. For example, if I spend $100 I can use 4-$5 off $25 coupons, which takes my total from $100 to $80. Even in my short-lived couponing days I never did that well. Most manufactures coupons are for highly processed food I wouldn’t buy anyway. Win-win for me.
The Friends Card – This is a new program that I am so glad I signed up for a few months ago. For every 500 points you get $5 to use on a transaction. You don’t have to spend $500 either because they often have double and triple point items so you can accrue points very quickly. I’ve probably gotten $30 dollars back already since I got my card. You can use your $5 off from the card and coupons in the same transaction too.

Convenience – Fresh & Easy is a small store so even at their busiest times in the early evening and on weekends it’s never as busy as other grocery stores. I don’t hate grocery shopping when I go to Fresh & Easy.

I feel like Fresh & Easy has a lot to offer to anyone who is trying to make better food choices. You still need to do your homework and read labels because not everything sold in the store is a healthy option. They carry a number of the big name brand products for anyone who just wants the small store convenience. The selection on natural and organic products is not as extensive as a store like Whole Foods, but it does the job for the regular week to week shopping trips.

So if you have a Fresh & Easy in your area check it out. If you’ve already been to Fresh & Easy see if there is something about the store that you haven’t taken full advantage of in the past. You might fall in love too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment