CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, May 6, 2012

The Best Chicken Salad

I have a tendency to pull recipes out of magazines and save them for way too long before trying them. While organizing my recipes I came across a chicken salad recipe I saved out of Food Network Magazine in April 2011. Yikes! I need to be more on top of trying recipes I save. But boy I'm glad I held onto it this long. When I came home today and thought my husband finished off the leftovers I was bummed. Until he showed me a little container just for me left in the fridge for lunch tomorrow.

You've got to try Aarti Sequeira's Lady Marmalade Chicken Salad. It is so delicious and easy to make. Aarti has an Indian background so her recipes always feature some delicious spices. We ate ours with organic blue corn tortilla chips. Yum, yum!

Sorry no picture of our salad. I totally forgot so you'll have to settle for clicking on the link for a picture this time. Ours turned out a darker yellow than in the picture. I'll try to be better about getting pictures next time.

Does it qualify as real food? I say yes with the exception of the orange marmalade.

My only issue was having trouble finding orange marmalade that I was totally happy with so I settled. The brand I bought had corn syrup in it, which I try to avoid when I can. I'll have to check Whole Foods for a better option. Of course maybe I can work with my husband on a non-processed substitute that would still give that orange flavor. Not sure if just orange juice would do.

A few changes we made:
  • I made a whole chicken in the crockpot the night before using this Chicken Recipe from Lisa Leake's 100 Days of Real Food (my new foodie hero). I used most of this chicken for the chicken salad.
  • I swapped out the canola or peanut oil for coconut oil.
  • We added some diced celery because we had some on hand. I love the extra crunch.
We will be making this again very soon. This would definitely be a hit at your next summertime potluck.

Note: I have to give my husband credit for putting this chicken salad together. All I did was make the chicken the day before and make sure we had the ingredients. He likes cooking much more than I do, and he's better at it so many of the things we try will be cooked by my wonderful husband with me as the sous chef. However the food gets cooked at your house, make it as real as possible.

3 comments:

Jaclyn said...

You can use an orange essential oil. I have used my oils in lots of different recipes. If you need more "liquid" with it you could try adding agave with some orange oil in it. I don't know how you feel about agave though. But even if you don't use agave orange oil can still be an option. It's just important to remember that Essential oils are much stronger than dried herbs so you have to be careful not to add too much.

Nicole said...

Jaclyn, Thanks for the suggestion. I don't know very much about essential oils especially for food use. I will definitely consider that for next time. I'll have to keep my eyes open for some orange oil.

Jaclyn said...

If you need any information let me know. It's kind of my job to know those things. ;) But you can get essential oils at most health food stores (among other places) and as long as it has a supplement facts label or says it can be ingested it is fine to use. Not all Essential Oils can be ingested but a lot of them can be.

Post a Comment